Hi, the other day I went to the doctor about

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
Hi, the other day I went to the doctor about blood in my stool, she said it was probably piles and to wait a few weeks. Since then I haven't had blood in my poo apart from a tiny pin sized spec of blood. Earlier today I had this poop was wondering if it was normal or not (the small red spec in the middle is a pepper). Thanks 🙂
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history, seen the photos and understood your concerns.
Please give additional information for me to assist you better:
Any other symptoms related to abdomen like pain, bloating, nausea or vomiting?
Was the blood fresh looking, attached to stool or came after passing stool?
Any pain in anal area?
Any swelling in anal area?
Any other information?
Have you got the stool tested or any other investigations?

Awaiting for your feedback in details.

Follow-up: Hi, the other day I went to the doctor about 26 minutes later
Hi, the blood was fresh looking and only a small amount and was attached to the stool, I've added a picture. No swelling as far as I am aware, I haven't experienced any pain, bloating, nausea or vomiting and I sent a feces sample to test for h pylori.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback and additional photo.
With the additional history you have provided, this looks to be a case of internal piles or hemorrhoids as the can streak the stool with small amount of blood. Fissure in ano causing blood on stool is usually has some pain or at least burning sensation.
Hence not much to worry about.
Please take following precautions:
Take high fiber diet and stool softeners if there are hard stools.
Avoid the foods and beverages that you know of causing constipation or hard stools.
Observe daily for stool.
Send the stool sample that contains the red spots for blood and occult blood, in fact for proper full test.
If the problem occurs insist for per-rectal digital examination and Ano-proctoscopy to see for the cause of blood in stool. You may even need colonoscopy if required.
I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow-up: Hi, the other day I went to the doctor about 41 minutes later
Hi, thanks for the detailed response! I just took another poop and this one looks normal, I was just wondering if the first picture that I sent you looked normal, thanks :D

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
Difficult to say whether the stool has blood in the first pictures, hence the need to send such part of stool for test.

Follow-up: Hi, the other day I went to the doctor about 12 minutes later
As this is the first time my stool has looked like this, is it possible it's just food that has been digested at different times?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stool tests are important.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concerns.
The best way is to get the stool tests at multiple times and if the blood is present, we have to go for further tests/investigations as this then can be of a serious concerns.
Medical science depends upon the factual findings and needs to rule out the doubts for better.
I hope this answers your doubts.
Please get the stool tests and post the reports.

Follow-up: Hi, the other day I went to the doctor about 25 minutes later
I'm just asking because I talked to the doctor about that test and she said that there's no point in doing it because I already know that there was blood in my feces

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is needed to confirm the blood and also to know the cause

Detailed Answer:
Undigested food can be seen and noted differently.
True, you already know it.
Stool tests will give further additional information for the presence of blood and other problems if any like worms and so on.
It helps.

Follow-up: Hi, the other day I went to the doctor about 31 minutes later
thanks for you're help, I'll be sure to ask tomorrow :) one last question though, the darker part of the stool was harder and clumped more together, whereas the lighter was was softer and smoother. To help clear my mind until tomorrow, Is that a sign of different types of digestion?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
As explained below.

Detailed Answer:
No,This is not a sign of different type of digestion as the digestive juices are the same for whatever food you take.
The darker part becomes dark, harder and clumped together as there is more absorption of fluids/water from this part of stool.
The lighter softer indicates less absorption of water and hence remains smoother too.
Nothing specific to worry about.
I hope this answer helps you.

Follow-up: Hi, the other day I went to the doctor about 4 days later
Hi again, I bought a DIY occult test kit which found no blood in my stool, I followed the instructions as directed and the result was that there was no blood in my stool. However I would like to ask when examining my stool there's sometimes a yellow/browny red mucus on it and was wondering if this was normal. Thanks again :)

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Was the affected part of stool picked up to do the test.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your feedback.
Did you pick up the red part from the stool to do the test?
Many times it need multiple tests of stool and further investigations like colonoscopy to ''rule out'' any specific problem.
Stop eating anything like tomato that has redness or red skin.
Observe the stools daily.