Hi, thanks for your time. My husband has been experiencing

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 2 Mar 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi, thanks for your time. My husband has been experiencing ED for the last 2 years. He has tried Cialis but he gets a severe headache from it and he is also on Viagra. Initially with the trade name he had great success however since we have traded to the generic, he has no result or only 50% result. Erections that are small and last only 15 mnutes or so. He does have HTN and Hi CHO and low thyroid. He is on meds for each. Lopressor for HTN. Is it possibly the generic Viagra that is causing his symptoms. He is reluctant to discuss this with our PMD. Please help...
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 31 minutes later
YYYY@YYYY All labs are WNL.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry your husband is having more trouble now.

There can be some differences between brand name and generic and if the brand name was working adequately and you can correlate the problem with switching to the generic, it would be worth a try to go back to the brand name and see if the problem resolves.

If it does not, your husband does have a number of risk factors for ED and several of the medications he is taking can also contribute to ED.

Hypertension and high cholesterol can contribute to ED as can "metabolic syndrome" and being overweight if that is a factor.

Lopressor (metoprolol) and ranitidine (Zantac) can both contribute to ED.

So - there are multiple factors that may be at play here, but I would start by switching back to the brand name Viagra as that may be enough to overcome the problem.

I hope this information helps.
Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee