Hi. sometimes when im at the gym doing strenuous weight

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 24 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi. sometimes when im at the gym doing strenuous weight lifting i will start to get thumps in the middle of my chest... not usually where you feel your heart... its rught in the middle of the breast bone. and ill also start to experience burping and pressure. sometimes it radiates but mostly in the center of the chest. do you think thats more vagus nerve than a cardiac issue? i take my pulse and its usually high but it goes down somewhat pretty quickly after i stop exercising but the burping and pressure sticks around.

ive had ekg recently and it was fine and have had tests previously like and echo whixh showed no defects.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to gastro-esophageal reflux.

I don't think that your symptoms are typical of a heart disorder, as burping is really atypical of any cardiac disorders.

I don't think that it is vagal nerve too, as you experience tachycardia, which is the opposite of vagal nerve response.

Anyway, an exercise cardiac stress test would help definitely exclude any possible cardiac issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist