Hi my husband is 50 years old: and weighs 195.
To know the cause first for proper management in view of heart problems
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history about your husband and understood the concerns.
The problem looks like that of constipation wherein the cause has to be found out for proper treatment.
In view of the medical problems it is important to have an early diagnosis and proper management to avoid strain on the heart.
Hence I would advise him the following:
X-ray of abdomen is a simple investigations that can tell whether there is fecolith formation and impaction in the left or whole colon causing pain and inability to pass gas and stool. If fecoliths are found then he may need soap water enema as more straining and pain not allowed in heart patients.
Additional Ultrasonography of abdomen, tests of blood, urine and review of the medical conditions is also necessary.
Please take him to Doctor or ER.
Stool softeners do not help more in impacted fecoliths. Please do not repeat.
Investigations will help to rule out other causes of fecal impaction.
I hope this answer helps you and your husband in early diagnosis and proper management in view of the pre-existing heart related problems.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is testosterone injections safe to improve libido?
- Will scratching my finger with a nail post cause any infection?
- Will Tramadol help in having normal stools post colectomy?
- Why am I having severe eye pain and blurry vision after taking...
- What causes stomach pain and blood in stool?
- Can continuos cough be symptoms of whooping cough?
- Suggest treatment for Low testosterone level and High TSH level?
- Suggest treatment for bloating and difficulty in passing urine when...
- Ia it normal to have foot pain post bunion operation?
- What are the different treatment options for uncontrollable bowel...