Hi my husband has a sore on his ankle, I

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 21 Mar 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi my husband has a sore on his ankle, I thought it was a spider bite, but now it is festering puss out of it, and its burning and all he can do is sleep.
He is also a diabectic
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please, go in now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Given that your husband has diabetes and a wound that is infected, and seems to be somnolent with it, I strongly urge him to be seen immediately. It is possible it was a spider bite, can't say without seeing it, but at this point whatever the original cause, it is infected and that is a risk for someone with diabetes because there is the risk of diminished wound healing and uncontrolled infection.

It is also not normal that he is wanting to sleep all the time, and that may be from the infection itself, or from uncontrolled blood sugars.

I tend to be conservative about the use of antibiotics but given his diabetes, he may need one as well as wound debridement and lab tests for blood sugar level, electrolytes, and ketones.

So - he should go in to be seen now, please don't delay. I will be happy to answer further questions you may have but for now, I don't want to delay him being evaluated.

Let me know if I can assist you further...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee