question-icon

Hi, my grand daughter is running a fever of 101.

Posted on Fri, 22 Mar 2019
Question: Hi, my grand daughter is running a fever of 101. My son gave her a dose of children’s ibuprofen at 6:00 pm and he thought she could have it every four hours, so he gave her another dose at 10:00 pm. Then he read and saw it says every 6-8 hours. We are worried, and want to know if this will harm her.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
No need to worry, watch for symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on Ask A Doctor platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
You need not to worry as toxic dose is very high and usually no side effect is seen even if double dose given at a time.
Just monitor the temperature (observe for low temperature), vomiting etc.
If you notice any abnormal symptoms please consult your pediatrician.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology