question-icon

Hi, my father who is 70 years old, had a

Posted on Wed, 13 Mar 2019
Question: Hi, my father who is 70 years old, had a bypass surgery of heart almost 5 years back, he is diabetic and on medication. He is 5ft 8inches tall, well build, wt.66kgs.For the last few days he was suffering from acidity, gas vomiting. but after taking medicine is otherwise fine. But for the last 2 days during his sleep at around 3am, he is getting profuse sweating especially in his chest and back, so much so that his dress getting drenched.He was otherwise fine, so the reason is not sudden fall of blood sugar level, we assume. his bp is normal.Kindly help
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Detailed evaluation is required.

Detailed Answer:
Night sweats has to be evaluated thoroughly especially in a cardiac patients.
Most probabale causes are hypoglycaemia( low blood sugar)and angina. You can check random blood sugar at the time of the attack to rule out hypoglycaemia.
An ECG is also recommended to rule out cardiac causes.
Infective causes can also present with similar symptoms. Tuberculosis is the infection most commonly associated with night sweats. But bacterial infections, such as endocarditis (inflammation of the heart valves), osteomyelitis (inflammation in the bones), and abscesses can cause night sweats.
He can go for a complete blood count and ESR to rule out chronic infection.
Consult a physician if symptoms persist for long. As of now ask him to drink plenty of water to keep him hydrated.
Wishing all the best.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Shinas Hussain