Hi Doctor, My Wife 32 Years Old, Had Been Suffering
1. Tinnitus, was strong the first two months , until January it started to improve
2.Facial palsy, that comes and goes
3. Peripheral neuropathy, on left side her left leg gets so numb that she says it sometimes feels like i have ice on it, but after couple of days the numbness dissapears and it becomes super painful, neuropathic pain.
currently she doesn't have facial palsy but has very strong neuropathic pain.
The symptoms usually comes and goes and it increases with stress.
We went to neurologist and was sent to do an MRI
The MRI diagnosed her with Pontine Cavernoma with subacute bleeding, with dimensions of 17/14/14mm
she was given thiossen but it made the pain worse , so was then given carbamezapine once a day for the last 5 days, she says the neuropathic pain didn't improve at all, but she is more calm and focused.
The neurologist suggests that surgery is the only option.
1. We are trying to be conservative and avoid surgery, given the size and the bleeding is it must at this stage to do surgery? or can we use better painkillers and hope it gets better over time?
2. how risky is it for complications, and what are the complications?
3. is it an emergency situation or it can wait for us to reach to a decision?
4. are there good medicines for neuropathic pain other than carbamezapine? and what would you recommend
Treatment for the cavernoma is necessary since there is bleeding.
Hello and welcome to the "Ask a Doctor" service.
I have read your question.
These symptoms are mostly due to cavernoma bleeding than adverse effects of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Since the cavernoma has bled it is necessary for it to be treated.
It is not an extreme emergency, but treatment is necessary to avoid rebleeding.
Open surgery may result in serious complications such as paralysis, coma, etc. in a percentage of such cases, but, if not treated, these may happen too.
Other than carbamazepine, for the symptoms, other drugs can be tried, pregabalin for example.
Consult with a Neurosurgeon for a better understanding of the situation.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Since it is located deep in the brain, radiosurgery is a good option.