Hi doctor. i few sexual encounters in the past n

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sun, 3 Feb 2019 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi doctor. i few sexual encounters in the past n my last one was on December 31st, during last act my condom broke n i realised post climax. i had this fear that may be i might contract HIV because im not aware of the girl's sexual health status. its been 15 days now n i have taken the HIV test ELISA method. please find attached report. thought the report is negative. i want to know is it normal to have the value that is mentioned in my report? or should it be nill? does my report eradicate the chance of HIV or is there anything else i need to do to be sure i am safe? Also atta hed is my CBP report too can you tell me if everything is normal? n why is my lymphocytes level little higher than normal? Looking forward to your thoughts regards Abhishek
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have to repeat the test to have confirmatory result.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
HIV ELISA test can detect only antibodies against HIV. Antibody can appear only after 6-8 weeks after the exposure in the presence of an infection, may be delayed up to 12 weeks) window period).
So your result cannot be taken as conclusive. It has to be repeated 12 weeks after the exposure to have more confirmatory report.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad