Hi doctor I did a hcg test when I was

Question
Hi doctor I did a hcg test when I was about 5 weeks and it was fairly high a doctor suggested it could be twins I have attached report please suggest I went for a scan it was not ectopic we saw a sac. Would u suggest I do another hcg at 7 weeks ?
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High possibility of a twin pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm,
The levels are hcg are definitely high for a singleton pregnancy at 5 weeks gestation but yes, there is a possibility of a twin pregnancy. The fact that you are in an early stage of pregnancy at 5 weeks, the second sac make take a week or two to be seen in the uterus, likely dichorionic diamniotic twins.
So best would be to get a repeat transvaginal ultrasound after 2 weeks to find the second sac and also get a repeat hcg done.
In the meantime , continue your pre-natals. Also keep note that you may have more chances of continuous nausea and frequent vomiting episodes or emesis considering hcg levels are higher for gestation.

Follow-up: Hi doctor I did a hcg test when I was 5 minutes later
Ok thanks doctor I am 7 weeks this week. Il get a hcg test done again and next week go for a scan to see if there’s twins I have a lot of nausea but vomiting has decreased. I hope it’s healthy twins InshaaAllah pray for me cross fingers.
Follow-up: Hi doctor I did a hcg test when I was 1 minute later
Yes I am having folic acid if it is twins does that mean I need a double dose of folic acid? Whatever it is I just pray it’s healthy. Allah is great and I guess prayers is needed. I hope for healthy twins. Is it possible that hcg is high but no twins?

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
likely twins ...rest the scan shall confirm.

Detailed Answer:
I think that would be wise to repeat scan after a week. The final confirmation of twins can only be attained after spotting the second gestational sac on ultrasound.
However , if your nausea has decreased , thats good. No need to increase folic acid tabs just continue 1 /day. Also tab meclizine 50mg ONCE A DAY CAN BE TAKEN if vomiting is more than 3 times in a day.
HCG can be seen to be increased in ectopic pregnancy, molar pregnancy and gestational trophoblastic disease, but since there was a single gestational sac sighted inside uterus, these differential diagnoses hold no good.
Also, discuss progesterone support till 14 weeks with your treating doctor in case of twins and even otherwise besides continuing prenatals.
You should relax and take care of yourself. Review with your hcg and scan reports.
Wish you best,

Follow-up: Hi doctor I did a hcg test when I was 19 hours later
Thanks a lot doctor I am having a lot of pain on the right side maybe it’s the stretching of the uterus. Today pain was accompanied with like a creamy discharge.

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
likely uteroosacral ligament stretch.

Detailed Answer:
If it was light creamy discharge alone without any blood tinge, then its fine. The pain can be due to uterosacral loosening . Considering that we are waitig for the next scan repot. presently you may apply hot fomentation twice or thrice a day locally for 15 min each to soothe the pain or if relief is not attained, then a single 500mg paracetamol tab can be taken SOS.

Follow-up: Hi doctor I did a hcg test when I was 20 hours later
Hi doctor I had a lot of diharrea a while ago my stomach was sore while diharrea it looked like black I think I ate something wrong. I’m drinking lots of fluids I hope diharrea doesn’t cause a miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answered

Detailed Answer:
sorry for the delayed reply.
Please keep yourself well hydrated and avoid electrolyte loss by taking WHO approved ORS satches. -one satchet in one litre of water. Atleast 500ml to be taken after each diarrhoeal episode. Stick to soft diet especially soups till diarrhoea stops. If it doesn't stop in next 6 hrs then you may need a stool culture if the cause is bacterial.
It would not cause miscarriage unless it's a severe diarrhoea, best is to keep up the hydration and resting.

Follow-up: Hi doctor I did a hcg test when I was 6 hours later
Ok thanks I only had one episode of diharrea like it only happened once and I didn’t go again but the time I went it was a lot of diharrea I had lots of water

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep yourself hydrated

Detailed Answer:
in that case there is no apparent need to be worried.Keep yourself hydrated and take rest. Avoid any intercourse during this period as it may precipitate a threatened miscarriage.

Follow-up: Hi doctor I did a hcg test when I was 9 hours later
Hi doctor i got a transvaginal scan we saw one sac and one foetus. There’s no twins. Would you still reckon a twin can appear later?

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
If the scan shows just one foetus and heart rate is seen and the foetus is viable then the twin shall not appear now. I believe your vomiting would have reduced by now and the delayed appearance of the sac could be the cause of increased hcg levels.
So do not worry and relax,