Hi doctor , I am an anxiety sufferer for more

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2019 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi doctor ,

I am an anxiety sufferer for more than 9 years thank God and to therapy and medication I’m now much much better.

My concern is that I’ve been on Sertraline 100mg daily for 9 years now and it has actually affected my blood platelet count from 380 down to 155 throughout the 9 years and I’m worried that it would still badly affect my platelet count more as now as I am considered as a borderline low normal and after plenty of research I discovered that SSRI’s harms the blood platelet count / blood clotting factors and blood thinings.

QUESTION:

Do all SSRI have this side effect if not, then what other than SERTRALINE can I take to stop harming my blood platelets ?

If all SSRI have this side effect then what are some options of antidepressants and anti anxiety medicine can I swap to under my doctors approval and surveillance ?

Please help

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Ssri effect on platelet is very rare

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I have gone through your query. So first of all, there is nothing to panic. Ssri, sertraline rarely affect platelet counts. There are anecdotal reports of low platelets in patients using them but still no causative role has been established.
So, in my opinion, these class of drugs do not affect platelet counts.
Your platelet counts are within normal range. Platelet production and destruction occurs at a variable rate and you can have two different reports on the same day but well withing range.
No need to worry.
Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 8 hours later
Ok my question is there any other drug name that works similar to Sertraline but do not affect blood platelet count.

Doctor the fact is that Sertraline has been affecting my platelet count
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. You should be relaxed

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. So the minimal risk attribute to ssri is based on anecdotal reports and not large scale studies. For that matter, that risk is same with all antidepressants.
Bleeding due to low platelet wont occur unless they are less than 50000.
You can get them monitored once in a week or 15 days.
But iam pretty sure, you wont suffer any bleeding.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng