Hi doctor , I am an anxiety sufferer for more
I am an anxiety sufferer for more than 9 years thank God and to therapy and medication I’m now much much better.
My concern is that I’ve been on Sertraline 100mg daily for 9 years now and it has actually affected my blood platelet count from 380 down to 155 throughout the 9 years and I’m worried that it would still badly affect my platelet count more as now as I am considered as a borderline low normal and after plenty of research I discovered that SSRI’s harms the blood platelet count / blood clotting factors and blood thinings.
Do all SSRI have this side effect if not, then what other than SERTRALINE can I take to stop harming my blood platelets ?
If all SSRI have this side effect then what are some options of antidepressants and anti anxiety medicine can I swap to under my doctors approval and surveillance ?
Hello. Ssri effect on platelet is very rare
Hello. I have gone through your query. So first of all, there is nothing to panic. Ssri, sertraline rarely affect platelet counts. There are anecdotal reports of low platelets in patients using them but still no causative role has been established.
So, in my opinion, these class of drugs do not affect platelet counts.
Your platelet counts are within normal range. Platelet production and destruction occurs at a variable rate and you can have two different reports on the same day but well withing range.
No need to worry.
Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further
Hello. You should be relaxed
Hello dear. So the minimal risk attribute to ssri is based on anecdotal reports and not large scale studies. For that matter, that risk is same with all antidepressants.
Bleeding due to low platelet wont occur unless they are less than 50000.
You can get them monitored once in a week or 15 days.
But iam pretty sure, you wont suffer any bleeding.
Thanks and regards
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes inflammation in the lungs while treating pneumonia?
- Can nodules in the lungs be cancerous?
- What are the long term side effects of Cytoxan and Taxotere?
- What does this biopsy report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for cough, headache and nausea
- Suggest treatment for a large tumor in the abdomen
- What is the prognosis for metastatic ampullary carcinoma?
- Suggest treatment for iron deficiency anemia
- What does my lab test report indicate?
- Is missing a dosage of medicine during anti tubular lymphadenitis...