Hi doc, I have a son of 4 years old.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 25 Feb 2019 in Child Health
Question: Hi doc, I have a son of 4 years old. He recently has been urinating very frequently within every 10 minutes or so. This has been going on from the last 4 days. I some how feel he might have a urine infection, but not sure. Can you please advise. We are traveling tomorrow evening by bus (12 hours journey) and I fear this might be an issue as well.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Send urine for investigation, antibiotic will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on 'Ask A Doctor' platform

I can understand your concern.
Frequent urination in this age is most likely due to some infection and should be treated imperically.
Other causes are much less common.
Here I would suggest you to send the urine sample (in a sterile container) for routine microscopy and culture sensitivity test. Proper care should be taken while collecting the sample to avoid contamination. Cleaning of tip of urethra, glans and prepuce with water should be done and mid stream urine should be taken.
The idea behind this is that if we give antibiotic before the test that may alter the test result. Although the imperically given antibiotic cover most of the organisms, sometime the organism may be rsistent and in such cases we may need to change the antibiotic as per the culture report.
After sending the sample you may start cefixime(Taxim o)antibiotic. The dose is 10 mg/kg/day in two divided dose for 7 days. This may need to be changed as per report and response.Give plenty of water.
Please get the medicine prescribed by a pediatrician.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng