Hi doc, I have a son of 4 years old.
Send urine for investigation, antibiotic will help
Thanks for asking on 'Ask A Doctor' platform
I can understand your concern.
Frequent urination in this age is most likely due to some infection and should be treated imperically.
Other causes are much less common.
Here I would suggest you to send the urine sample (in a sterile container) for routine microscopy and culture sensitivity test. Proper care should be taken while collecting the sample to avoid contamination. Cleaning of tip of urethra, glans and prepuce with water should be done and mid stream urine should be taken.
The idea behind this is that if we give antibiotic before the test that may alter the test result. Although the imperically given antibiotic cover most of the organisms, sometime the organism may be rsistent and in such cases we may need to change the antibiotic as per the culture report.
After sending the sample you may start cefixime(Taxim o)antibiotic. The dose is 10 mg/kg/day in two divided dose for 7 days. This may need to be changed as per report and response.Give plenty of water.
Please get the medicine prescribed by a pediatrician.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting