Hi, could you please explain the difference in testing between

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi, could you please explain the difference in testing between hsv2 IgH and hsv 2 igm
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
IgG is past infection, IgM is acute

Detailed Answer:
I am assuming you meant to ask about the HSV IgG test. Typically after an acute HSV infection, the body first begins to produce antibodies called IgM, these become detectable in the blood after about 7 to 10 days after being infected, and stay in the blood for about 2 weeks, after which they decline. Weeks to months after this, the body begins to produce antibodies called IgG, which can stay in the blood for the rest of your life. After this, during an active outbreak of herpes, the body can produce IgM antibodies again for a couple of weeks during the outbreak.

So the main thing these two tests can tell you is whether you are infected with herpes, and whether it is a new infection or an old infection. If both IgG and IgM are positive, it can be unclear whether this is from a new infection or from a recurrent outbreak from an old infection.

I hope that helps, please let me know if anything was unclear or if you have any other questions, I would be glad to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T