Hi, and thank you My A/G ratio is 2.3 albumin

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, and thank you
My A/G ratio is 2.3
albumin 4.4
globulin 1.9
why is ratio high (above 2.2) according to labcorp test result
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Little decrease in A/G ratio is non significant in a healthy persom

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to "Ask A Doctor" service. I have read your question and here is my advice .
Albumin and glubulin are body protiens that have important role in our body .
You are right that the normal ration is .8 to 2.2 as the body albumin is higher then globulin .However most of the times we do A/G ration for concen of low ratio which is many times significant clinically. A low ratio ( means low albumin in body or high glubulin) may indicate chronic diseases but a high ratio ( like yours one )is mostly not sifnificant and is rarley found in clinical context .
The ratio may be high because of high albumin or low glubulin. Your test shows little low globulin making the ration a little high .This ( low globulin )may be caused by malnutrition or some times congenital low production of glubulin ( a disease called combined immunoglubulin deficiency ) which is a rare disease .However in that cases the ratio is quite high and that produce a lot of symtoms like recurrnet severe infections. So I understand the little high ratio is of no clinical importance if your are otherwise fine .These values are not absulute thier may be little lab error or variation from person to person may also slightly tilt the ratio .
Hope I have answered your question. I will be glad to answer any further question about this. kind Regards Dr Rahman. . .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 1 hour later
Thank you
Brief Answer:
My pleasure

Detailed Answer:
Its a pleasure for me .
Have a blessed day.