Hi XXXXXXX mam I just completed 12 weeks of pregnancy

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2015
Mar 2015

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
Hi XXXXXXX mam

I just completed 12 weeks of pregnancy and got an NT scan done yesterday. As per the scan, everything else is normal except that the Nasal bone of the fetus is equivocal i. e. It is present and the scan doctor could see it, but it was not as bright as they expect it to be. Also it could be because the baby was not lying in a position and was moving continuously and it was little difficult for them to find out. They have asked me to repeat the scan after 10 days as sometimes 12 weeks is early to detect this. Could you please tell me what are the consequences and remedies for this? How serious it could be? They said that in case after 10 days also if it is same then we can go for DNA test or some procedure where they take out a bit of placenta but that has a chance of miscarriage. Please tell me how serious it is and should I worry on this and the consequences and remedies. The double marker test was also normal.
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not panic

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Absence or equivocal presence or short nasal bone can be present in chromosomal anomalies especially Down Syndrome.
If the double marker is low risk for chromosomal anomalies, then the chances of chromosomal anomalies are quite low.
However, if nasal bone is absent, fetal karyotype should be done by chorion villus sampling or amniocentesis.
In chorion villus sampling, chances of abortion are higher, so it is better to get an amniocentesis done at 16 weeks as the chances of miscarriage are extremely low in this procedure.
There is no remedy or treatment to rectify the absence of nasal bone, as it is due to genetic composition of the fetus.
Do not worry and panic, and get a repeat scan after 10 days to confirm.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist