question-icon

Hi, Recently, I have joined swimming classes and this very

Posted on Sun, 11 Nov 2018
Question: Hi,
Recently, I have joined swimming classes and this very first time for me. Since then I am suffering from running nose, Throat itching and Ear pain. I used Roxithromycin (3 times a day), Okacet (twice a day), Benadryl and Ear drop (clear wax). Running nose has stopped but I can still feel cold, throat itching and Ear pain is same no change in it. I stopped going to swimming since 2 days. Please prescribe a medicine which can help me.

Tripura
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak (40 hours later)
Brief Answer:
inconclusive details

Detailed Answer:
Hi, hope you are doing well.

The history you have given is insufficient to conclude a diagnosis.

But it seems you are having an upper respiratory tract infection after you joined swimming. You need to consult an ENT surgeon as it's very important to examine your ear. You have taken an antibiotic, antiallergic that relieve your symptoms.

You can start taking betadine gargle, steam inhalation through the nose. Don't let water going in the ear. You continue taking an antiallergic tablet (eg. Cetirizine).

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Get well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rajat Basak (58 minutes later)

Thank you for your response. I will see ENT surgeon.

Can I continue with the swimming or do I need to stop going.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak (2 days later)
Brief Answer:
It's better you can keep hold on your swimming

Detailed Answer:
Hii. Hope you are doing well.

It's better you can keep hold on your swimming for atleast one week.Let the infection subside. Swimming pool water is a good source of microorganisms and it may cause or aggravate further infection. Consult an ENT surgeon. After you are confirm that your ears are healthy you join swimming again.

Get well soon. Please let me know if there are any queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Rajat Basak

ENT Specialist