Hi.. My son 8 yrs old getting fever since yesterday.

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: Hi.. My son 8 yrs old getting fever since yesterday. Fever coming back every 3 to 4 hrs and going high 103.. Can I give him meftal p as fever is very high. Please suggest how much I have to give or if any other medicine need to be given your recommendation.
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 0 minute later
Hi.. My son 8 yrs old getting fever since yesterday. Fever coming back every 3 to 4 hrs and going high 103.. Can I give him meftal p as fever is very high. Please suggest how much I have to give or if any other medicine need to be given your recommendation.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use paracetamol to begin with...

Detailed Answer:

Apologies for the late reply.

Can you describe what other symptoms he has along with fever? May I also know is current weight?

I would start with paracetamol tablets / syrup round the clock instead of meftal p. If fever doesn't reduce with paracetamol only then you may take meftal p. The dose depend on body weight. Therefore let me know is body weight.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by Dr. Prasad 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Use paracetamol to begin with...

Detailed Answer:

Apologies for the late reply.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 7 hours later
Hello.. Weight is 35.4kg. I have given 250mg of crocin but it didn't have any effect on fever.
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 0 minute later
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Doses short...

Detailed Answer:

For a kid who weighs 35.4 kg, 250mg crocin is a small dose. He needs full dose (500mg) of paracetamol. This can be repeated every 6 - 8 hours. You may use meftal p tablets, incase fever is still unresponsive.

Can I know what other symptoms are seen (if any) along with fever?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Doses short...

Detailed Answer:

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 5 days later
As of now mostly the fever is over but still he gets little bit 99 to 100 f in the evening most of the time from last 2 days. As per my understanding I think it is because weakness and recovery mode. We have done cbc please chk and give your recommendation. Thanks a lot for helping.
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 0 minute later
Answered by Dr. Prasad 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
If he is recovering, it's a positive response....

Detailed Answer:

Apologies for the late reply. I went through the test results. The reports are essentially normal. Total WBC count (leucocyte count) is at the upper limit of normal; but that's ok and is not concerning.

If he is getting better and fever is absent, that's a positive sign indicating recovery. So you need not be overly worried.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 0 minute later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer: