Hi, My mother-in-law is 94 years and lives in a

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,
My mother-in-law is 94 years and lives in a care home. Two days ago, we noticed that all the cuticles around her toes (on both feet) were black, as if she had stepped into a puddle of black ink. The color is black, not red or brown (the color of dried blood). She says she feels no pain, but on occasion her feet have become swollen.
Thank you for your reply,
Elizabeth Tajima

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible emergency

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Although, ideally I would need to see an image to have a better idea, from your description it sounds a lot like foot gangrene. In this case it is an emergency and requires an immediate evaluation, so please take your mother-in-law to a ER as soon as you can.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng