Hi, My mother-in-law is 94 years and lives in a

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2018 in Lump
Question: Hi,
My mother-in-law is 94 years and lives in a care home. Two days ago, we noticed that all the cuticles around her toes (on both feet) were black, as if she had stepped into a puddle of black ink. The color is black, not red or brown (the color of dried blood). She says she feels no pain, but on occasion her feet have become swollen.
Thank you for your reply,
Elizabeth Tajima
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be gangrene

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

What you describe could sound like gangrene. Does she have diabetes, or any cardiovascular disease? You should go to the ER for acute examination. Alternatively, you could try and send a picture of her foot.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 1 hour later
We have scheduled a doctor's appointment for my mother-in-law later this morning. Thank you, Dr. Christensen, for your immediate and helpful reply. Will try to send more info (like a photo).
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Thank you, looking forward to hearing from you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng