Hi My mother had severe cold and cough when she

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi My mother had severe cold and cough when she visited XXXXXXX two months ago. After a course of azithromycin her symptoms improved except she just had dry cough at night. Last week she had cough with blood . I tooke her to urgent care they prescribed anti-biotics (Doxycycline) and cough syrup Promethazine. Also, they asked for a Chest X-Ray to rule out any other serious condition. X-Ray came back with a 2.3 cm lung nodule or scar tissue in left upper lung and recommended a follow up x-ray after 3-4 months or a Chest CT- Scan. CT-Scan came back with a scar tissue in upper left lung but has a 4 mm nodule in lower left lung. Nodule is visible clearly on the HRCT ct-scan slide (96-97-98) (1.25 mm lung) . But slide 99-100 looks like hazy or patchy region posterior to the nodule. Does this mean it is a ground glass opacity nodule or nodule is clear this is another region? CT-Scan does not mention Ground Glass Opacity and I am not a doctor to make judgement. It has been stressful for me and everyone in my family. I would like some feedback on this, I have been reading so many journals for so many things and I am just worried. By the way, cough in blood reduced very second day and after third day there was no more blood in cough
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 0 minute later
Hi My mother had severe cold and cough when she visited XXXXXXX two months ago. After a course of azithromycin her symptoms improved except she just had dry cough at night. Last week she had cough with blood . I tooke her to urgent care they prescribed anti-biotics (Doxycycline) and cough syrup Promethazine. Also, they asked for a Chest X-Ray to rule out any other serious condition. X-Ray came back with a 2.3 cm lung nodule or scar tissue in left upper lung and recommended a follow up x-ray after 3-4 months or a Chest CT- Scan. CT-Scan came back with a scar tissue in upper left lung but has a 4 mm nodule in lower left lung. Nodule is visible clearly on the HRCT ct-scan slide (96-97-98) (1.25 mm lung) . But slide 99-100 looks like hazy or patchy region posterior to the nodule. Does this mean it is a ground glass opacity nodule or nodule is clear this is another region? CT-Scan does not mention Ground Glass Opacity and I am not a doctor to make judgement. It has been stressful for me and everyone in my family. I would like some feedback on this, I have been reading so many journals for so many things and I am just worried. By the way, cough in blood reduced very second day and after third day there was no more blood in cough
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is because of lung movement.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Ask a doctor forum.
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the images you have attached.
She needs follow up CT scan after 6-8 months to see any change in nodule size and number.
No need to worry for that hazziness. It is because of lung movement during breathing.
Is she having any past history of TB or pneumonia?
Please reply me answer of above asked question, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wishing good health to your mother. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
This is because of lung movement.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
I will be happy to help you further.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 12 hours later
She did not have any TB pneumonia I cannot recall a diagnosed one but she mentioned she had sever cough for a month when she was in her twenties so that was around 40+ years ago.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 minutes later
Also she was on Novo Norm for a month and half until 17th Dec 2018. I read it has upper respiratory infection and post nasal drip side effect. I did not attached other slide from CT which has Patchy Ground Glass Opacity and report attributes it to either aspiration or infection that one in in lingula slide #110
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get done repeat chest x ray.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Ask a doctor forum.
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the recent images you have attached.
It is showing lobular involvement.
Persistent coughing should be evaluated further for worsening of pneumonia.
So get done repeat chest x ray.
I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your mother. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Brief Answer:
Get done repeat chest x ray.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
It is showing lobular involvement.
So get done repeat chest x ray.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Thank you for your quick response. Appreciate your feedback.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do let me know her progress.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Do let me know her progress.
I will be happy to help you further.
It's always encouraging for doctors to hear positive feedback from patients.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wishing good health to your mother. Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Brief Answer:
Do let me know her progress.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Do let me know her progress.
I will be happy to help you further.