Hi, My mom had a stomach pain and notice some

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi,
My mom had a stomach pain and notice some blood in the urine and stool. Doctor said they are assuming she's got diverculatitis and gave her some medicine for her infection. Now the pain is reduced but it's still there and hasn't dissappeared. They also said she has 5cm heitaus hernia and she's gastaritis. Also they did gastroscopy and colonoscopy and said they took some biopsy because they can see some fundic type polyps. They did all these one month ago but we still haven't got the appointment with doctor to get a follow up checkup. Even though my mom says her pain has reduced slightly after the antibiotics it hasn't dissappeared fully. She feels something blocking in her chest area if she stand up for a long time. It goes away if she sits. Also she feels pain around her stomach and sometimes it goes to back side as well if she stands or walk for a long time. Can you pkease advice if this is anything serious? I have attached the lab reports.
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 1 minute later
She is 59 years old. 15 years ago they removed her womb and one Overy. Now doctor said she has prolapse but it's nothing to be worried about it
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It does not sound serious

Detailed Answer:
Hi Asu567,

From what you describe and the attached reports it does not sound serious. The most important thing is that she experiences a gradual regression of the symptoms. It seems perfectly fine to wait for the outpatient visit with information on biopsies. In the mean time, if the pain gets worse, she should go to the hospital.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 40 minutes later
They said she's got 5 cm hernia. Does that mean they would need to do a surgery?
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 54 minutes later
What causes the pain and uneasiness that she experience? Is it because of hernia or gasteritis or diverculities? We are little confused. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is not mandatory

Detailed Answer:
Hi again Asu567,

Surgery for a hiatal hernia is not mandatory. You could start with proton pump inhibitors (which she is probably already on) , avoidance of late meals, and sleeping with the head rest elevated. The pain is likely caused by the gastritis, and for that, she can try magnesium hydroxide. Paracetamol and/or a weak morphine analogue (I.e. tramadol) could also be tried.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T