Hi ! My husband has been hospitalized and treated for

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Feb 2019 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi ! My husband has been hospitalized and treated for chronic hiccups off and on for about 4 years. He has been treated with thorazine, baclofen, gabapentine, and many other oral medications. Some work for awhile, others cause psychological " loopiness". He has type 2 diabetes, and is a kidney dialysis patient. His primary
care; nephrologists,and gastroenteritis have not been able to find the underlying cause. We are willing to travel anywhere to discuss a " "Phrenic nerve block " with someone but not sure where to go from here. We appreciate any help or recommendations from you.

Thanks Pat XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a good plan

Detailed Answer:
Hi Patmason,

It sounds like a good plan. If it has not been done, I suggest he is scanned (CT and MRI) from head to stomach to assess any underlying disease. A phrenic nerve block seems reasonable to consider now, but adjustment of medicine with a combination treatment of two or more of the medicines you have tried may also help.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj