Hi. My eight year old son has a fever of

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: Hi. My eight year old son has a fever of 102.5 with chills, a wet cough and he is incredibly sleepy. He has just started complaining of pain on his left side, directly under rib cage.

He has had a low grade fever of 99.5 off and on since Tuesday night. No fever last night or this morning.

The pain on his left side is what concerns me.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs to be investigated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask A Doctor service.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. If your child has a fever with temperature more than 100°F, you should give Acetaminophen (P-250 or Tylenol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (Mefenamic acid) which is more effective.

The pain under the rib cage could be due to costochondritis. But the overall presentation concerns me. Blood for complete blood count and CRP needs to be sent for. The urine needs to be tested for routine microscopy and culture sensitivity.

I'd recommend visiting a doctor(Paediatrician preferably). It needs medical attention.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee