question-icon

Hi, My 7 year old daughter diagnosed with Bell's palsy

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2019
Question: Hi,

My 7 year old daughter diagnosed with Bell's palsy and she couldn't able to close her eye properly. It happened before 6 days back and yesterday I visited to clinic and the doctor prescribed 1) WYSOLONE 2) LANZOLE 3) ZOVIRX 4) TEAR PLUS EYE DROP.

other than eye closing and one side smile she is seems to be normal. Will my daughter recover to normal? can you please tell me how long it will take. I am totally depressed. Experts please advise me. Thanks a lot
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Complete recovery will be in three months.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query,
Bell’s palsy is an idiopathic( without any defenite cause) comdition and in children it can develop after an episode of viral infection.
Steroids are the mainstay of treatment along with anti viral drugs. In your case she is on steroid( wysolone) and antiviral( Zovirax).
Nothing much to worry and her treatment is in the right track.
Generally the signs of improvement will begin in ten to fourteen days and complete recovery in three months.
In kids residual weakness or deformity is unlikely.
You have to keep her eye covered and I still drops to prevent corneal injury.
Wishing all the best.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain (4 hours later)
Thank you Sir, Please continue your good work. Your word gives hope for me and thanks a lot again.
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
All the best.

Detailed Answer:
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shinas Hussain