Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
182 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Hi! I'm an 18 yo female who was diagnosed with

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3129 Questions

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2019 in Women's Health
Question: Hi! I'm an 18 yo female who was diagnosed with PCOS, but I feel that diagnosis is wrong considering I only have the pain symptoms (no weight gain, excess hair, etc)
I'm currently on day one of my period, and my pain is indescribable. I can barely stand, and my back and pelvic area feels like it's throbbing with sharp pains. My legs (quads mostly) are also so sore, I can't even stretch them out.
Is this a problem worth going to an ER or Urgent Care for? Or do I wait it out and schedule an appointment with my primary care doctor.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Have you tried any of the NSAIDs?

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am really sorry you are having so much pain with your period.

Have you tried an NSAID, either Ibuprofen or Naproxen? You can try Ibuprofen 400 mg (after eating some food) every 6-8 hrs (i.e. 3 x/day). Be sure to eat something first as it can be irritating on the stomach without food.

NSAIDS help block prostaglandins which cause a lot of the pain with menstruation (dysmenorrhea) which it sounds like you are having.

If that doesn't help, or the pain is getting worse, or is in a specific area (rather than all over your pelvis and thighs/back), or is unbearable, then do go in to the ER where they will do an exam to make sure it is not something else in addition to dysmenorrhea. And can give you additional medicine for pain.

But NSAIDs can really help.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on