Hi, I went to the public bathroom and when I

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi, I went to the public bathroom and when I was getting toilet paper. I looked above the toilet paper holder and there was smeared blood. I don’t know if I touched it. But I got scared and pulled up my pants without wiping with any toilet paper but I had touched my underwear. Could I contract hiv?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chance of contracting HIV in such exposure.

Detailed Answer:
Dear H,

Welcome to "Ask A Doctor"

HIV virus becomes inactive outside the human body in an open environment or if the blood dries within few minutes only so the risk of contracting HIV in your exposure is nil because you had even no direct contact with the blood so just calm down, forget the episode and live your life normally. For any further query feel free to ask me again.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 13 hours later
If I was cutting a bagel and I slit my skin like a paper cut. It bleed a little. Got on the knife. Then someone used it right after me to cut their bagel. Can they contract hiv
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still the risk is not there.

Detailed Answer:
Dear H,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

Even if the expsoure was happened as mentioned by you in the query then also the risk of contacting HIV is not there so no need to worry or get anxious. Be relaxed, forget the incidence and move in life happily.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D