Hi I was talking to someone but the line went

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I was talking to someone but the line went off I have lichen sorisis had it twenty years ago I was prescribed betmovate and it cleared up I now want some cream whereas I don’t want go to my docters I am now 70 yrs old can u help
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Clobetasol can be used- further details below

Detailed Answer:

Lichen sclerosis is a chronic condition of the skin and needs a bit long term treatment with ultrapotent steroids like clobetasol. It should be treated early to avoid complications.
You can take clobetasol 0.05% to apply at night time for 1-3 months. You will need to use moisturizers to keep the skin from drying out and the lesions crack and get itchy which makes the lichen sclerosis worsen. So keep the area moisturized. Avoid chemicals and possible irritants on the area as well so no local reaction is favored. You can use betamethasone (betnovate) cream that you have used previously but it is not as potent as clobetasol.

If no improvement with its regular daily treatment for 12 months then other causes should be considered. Lichen sclerosis has a potential to convert into malignant condition (cancer) and if no improvement then check with your doctor is needed and possibly a biopsy of the lesion.

On the other hand regular use of steroids may cause atrophy and thinning of the skin so regular check with the doctor is needed to make sure it is diagnosed on time. In this case other treatments might be considered like retinoids, ultraviolet light, tacrolimus, etc.

I hope I have answered to your query. Let me know if i can assist you further.

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj, General and Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 3 hours later
Hi we’re can I purchase the cream kind regards y mitchell
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 57 minutes later
Would like to purchase the cream how do I get it please regards y mitchell
Brief Answer:
You can ask in the local pharmacy to purchase the cream

Detailed Answer:

You will need to go to the pharmacy and ask for the cream. It is Clobetasol 0.05%. If the pharmacy does not give it over the counter then you can ask for Betamethasone cream as this generally is more likely to be given without a prescription. If the pharmacy does not give Clobetasol and you would like to have it you will need a prescription from your local doctor.

Clobetasol is more potent then Betamethasone and is more likely to help.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Antoneta Zotaj,
General and Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee