Hi I was recently in the cold and my hands

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: Hi I was recently in the cold and my hands swelled up to the point they looked like a glove was blown up like a balloon and they didn’t fully subside till the next day. Another day I was in the cold it seemed as though I couldn’t use my thumb for a short time. Any idea why this could be happening?
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chilblains, avoid low temperatures.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear XXXXXXX welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

The swelling of hands and finger pain you exercised is known as chilblains. It is caused by constriction of blood vessels in cold and leakage of fluids in interstitial space during warming causing swelling.
It happens in countries with extremely cold temperatures and excessive humidity.
It is mainly caused in people with bad circulation. Bad circulation is caused by diabetes, smoking, genetic predisposition or lupus.
The only thing you can do is to avoid this extremely low temperature, wear gloves and avoid excess humidity.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 1 hour later
Should I be concerned by a butterfly rash that pops up on my face sometimes? It feels like a hot iron was put on my face and it is extremely sensitive to sun. The dr I visited said that I put something on my face and called me a liar. Lately it seems the weather hates me.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think you should get diagnosed for lupus.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and thank you for asking.
I think the butterfly rash together with sun sensitivity is typical for lupus.
I would recommend you to do a total blood count, eritrosedimentation and anti ANA antibodies.
Also the cold sensitivity is a sign of Lupus.
Best regards.
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 34 minutes later
They did an ANA test that came back negative in the past and the dr said there was no way that would come up negative, what is your opinion on this?

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
I think you are having typical lupus symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
I think that you are having typical lupus symptoms and most probably the test will come positive. You have to repeat the ANA antibodies test.
I agree with your doctor's opinion.