Hi, I was on the city bus yesterday and we

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, I was on the city bus yesterday and we had an accident yesterday and my neck hurts, I don't have insurance so I didn't go to the hospital but today it really hurts. Can a walk in clinic treat me for this or do I need to go to the ER?

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
From everything I've read online so far, I think I have whiplash and I don't think there is much that can be done about that. Should I go to the Doctor at all or should I just treat it at home?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I am sorry you were in this accident! I do think it needs to be evaluated by a physician, in person, and I am thinking on which would cost less for you - ER vs urgent care. Some urgent care clinics do have the capacity to evaluate this and would cost less money than what an ER usually charges.

But, in many places, if a person is uninsured and doesn't have money to pay the exorbitant cost, the hospital that the ER is part of will swallow the cost. Urgent care facilities, on the other hand, may not do so.

I suggest that you call the nearby ERs, starting with a university hospital if you have one near you, as that would be your best bet. Also, call local urgent care and see if they have the capacity to evaluate it or if they would send you to an ER (which would end up costing you twice). But unfortunately, I can't safely say you can just treat it at home - neck injuries sustained from a motor vehicle accident really do need to be evaluated.

It's possible the bus company will pay for your medical evaluation. Seems they should as you were their passenger. Would be cheaper for them than a lawsuit.

I hope this information gives you a place to start.
And I hope you feel better soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 16 hours later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
Most welcome,

Best wishes