Hi, I recently went to the doctor for high blood

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi, I recently went to the doctor for high blood pressure and blood in urine. I also have one kidney since birth. These are the things I'm being tested for and I was hoping you could explain what it's testing, and the possible causes. I've already been tested for infection, and they couldn't get anything to grow. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see the detailed answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concerns...

I've checked the attached images...

FBC is full blood count, which is a part of hemogram where they take the blood sample and check for parameters like Hemoglobin, WBC, Platelets and a few others (this will give a basic idea of the body's blood cell counts and a few other levels)...

Next, they're checking HbA1c- which is to be done to assess the blood sugar control in the body (of past 3months mainly)...

LFT- is the liver function test...They're also checking for Thyroid function tests...

U&E is Urea and electrolytes which are part of Kidney function tests...eGFR- is estimated Glomerular Function rate i.e. an assessment of the functioning of the kidneys...it's not clear what do they mean by bone, as there can be numerous studies based on bone alone, so it'll be better if you ask them directly about it for further clarifications...

Yes, all these are part of the initial evaluation which will throw some light on why is there blood in urine...management can be done based on the findings...

Meanwhile, please drink plenty of water (around10 cups per day at least)...Avoid irritant foods like too much coffee, tea and carbonated drinks, some acidic fruits i.e. oranges, grapefruits, limes, spicy foods for the time being.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 2 hours later
thank you! that was such a detailed answer :D other than infection, what are other common causes for blood? thanks.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there are numerous causes...

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

There are numerous causes apart from infection, namely, kidney stones, trauma, uncontrolled blood pressure, some structural anomaly in the urogenital tracts, tumours, blood clotting problems etc.

Naming so many causes can only create further anxiety, so I'd request not worry about them and focus on getting the investigations at first...Let's just get the initial investigations done which will help to narrow down the diagnosis...management can be done based on the findings...

Take Care
Kind Regards