Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
195 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Hi. I m asking for another opinion here. I have

Answered by
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2013

Answered : 7530 Questions

Posted on Sun, 24 Feb 2019 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi. I'm asking for another opinion here. I have shortness of breath most of the time, swollen legs, weight gain, and am tired all the time. I also have some osteoarthritis in my legs which causes stiffness but no pain. I used to have afib but I had an ablation a year ago and that fixed it. My cardiologist says I have the classic clinical symptoms of heart failure but her tests don't show that. She even told me at one point she thought my problems were "not cardiac related" so I never bothered going back. Now my general practitioner is sending me to a pulmonologist, although I don't have chest pain or a cough. I'm pretty sure I don't have lung cancer because I just had a chest X-ray three weeks ago which came back clear. I'm getting sick of having tests that show nothing and doctors who don't believe I have a problem. I hate going to doctors and would rather never see one. I'm a teacher and if I walk from one end of the building to the other I'm panting. That's not normal. What's your opinion of this?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably cilinical symptoms are related to heart failure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to congestive heart failure.

This medical condition is related to the fact that the heart can't pump blood efficiently throughout your body.

If you can attach the examinations that you have done it would be helpful through the diagnosis.

I would recommend a blood test to check the level of natriuretic peptide.

I also recommend an electrocardiogram and a chest x ray to exclude other possible causes.

The echocardiogram is the golden standard examination to confirm the diagnosis.

Meanwhile, I recommend to eat a healthy diet, avoid sodium in diet and maintain a low diet.

There are several medications to treat this medical condition and maintain it under control.

So, after the examinations you can consult me again for further evaluation and a specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on