Hi. I keep having reoccurring (about once monthly) very small
Chronic aphtous ulcers is the likely diagnosis- details below
Welcome to "Ask a Doctor" service.
The lesions on your tongue are very likely chronic recurrent aphtous lesions. These are very common and most of the time no specific cause is identified. Because you are having them every month it might be advisable to do some tests to rule out underlying conditions.
Meanwhile local treatment with oral wash with chlorhexidine, local lignocaine gel and avoiding hard food, spicy, salty, and acidic food and also alcohol and carbonated drinks helps with symptoms.
Rarely more treatment is needed and in this case your doctor can prescribe oral treatment as well.
- very likely the lesions are due to chronic recurrent aphtous ulcers, which is a common condition (it is unlikely for herpes infection to repeat so often, even though it is difficult to distinguish one from the other by how they look)
- some tests might be needed to rule out underlying conditions like anemia, vitamin deficiency, bowel conditions, immune diseases, etc.
- seeing your doctor is advisable to have the tests and examinations to rule out these conditions
- try local treatment with mouth wash with chlorhexidine and local lignocaine
- avoid certain food (mentioned above)
I hope this answers your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- is it hpv?
- I am 77 years old and one breast is very
- I felt a sudden sharp pain in my inside wrist
- Is there a sleeping aid that I can use with
- Hi, I have been having acne problems for the past
- Can you look at the results of a stool test
- Hi my names is Isabel I’m 24 years old and
- I have had bladder infection after bladder infection on going
- Where can I find a doctor who will test and
- Feeling weak for about a week ! Why ?