Hi, I have terrible nasal problems - blocked nose on

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Mar 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I have terrible nasal problems - blocked nose on both sides. I went to my doctor and she suggested a saline nose spray. I'm using it constantly and it isn't helping. Also, she suggested vitamin B complex which I've taken... but now I'm still unable to breath.. even when I take a shower with steam. I have to breath with my mouth open all day. This isn't allergies. Thank you.
Also, I had two deviated serum surgeries in the past in 2015. Could this be related. Jan
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

It sounds like you have significant inflammation in the nasal and sinus passages. One way to address this directly would be to use a topical steroid. There are several over-the-counter topical steroid medications available including Flonase. If you have not already started using this medication it would be reasonable for you to purchase this over-the-counter. You would want to use one spray in each nostril twice daily. If you are not able to use the nasal spray it may be reasonable to discuss oral steroid medication such as prednisone to again help the inflammation that is going on there.

Now it is possible there may be some type of infection. Most sinus infections are caused by viruses. Sometimes there can be more significant sinus infection if the sinuses are not allowed or able to drain appropriately. If this is a consideration again you would have to discuss this with your doctor who might consider an antibiotic. We really do not like to use antibiotics more than necessary so it is a decision that is taken much more seriously nowadays.

Thank you again for sending the question. Again I would suggest the nasal steroid. Also would consider using Allegra or Claritin once daily. Regarding the nasal spray, it is not going to work instantly and will take at least one week to fully affect and hopefully help alleviate some of your inflammation.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj