Hi, I have suffered with neck pain for over 3

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Mar 2019 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi,
I have suffered with neck pain for over 3 years now but this last year it has got a lot worse ( especially the last 6 month) all pain block injections have stopped working. My mri results have just come back to me directly. It says there is a straightening of the cervical lordosis. Tiny posterior disc osteophyte bar at C 5-6. I have a family history of cervical spondylosis and I have osteopenia on my spine. What do my results mean? I need to know why I am in so much pain everyday in my neck. Regards Sarah
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI findings and severity of your pain are not matching

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

Your MRI cervical spine report done 15-02-2019 is showing mild degenerative changes in the cervical vertebrae and discs.

The straightening of the cervical spine is a common condition in many people and shows a spasm of the neck muscles.

There is mention of small osteophytes in C5-C6 disc level and the neural foramina are not showing cervical nerve root compression.

The pain, I guess is much more than expected than what is visualised on the MRI scan images. I am also surprised that the MRI findings are showing a mild condition and you have already been through nerve blocks to control the pain.

A possible explanation can be that there is a pressure effect on the nerves at some other place along the brachial plexus pathway and it will help to discuss with your doctors and get a detailed study of the brachial plexus if needed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng