Hi, I have pain on my trachea only in one

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I have pain on my trachea only in one spot under the Adam's apple; I feel it is swollen and when I press it or when I swallow I feel pain. Would you explain what is the possible cause!
Thank you!

Mohsen
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 0 minute later
Hi, I have pain on my trachea only in one spot under the Adam's apple; I feel it is swollen and when I press it or when I swallow I feel pain. Would you explain what is the possible cause!
Thank you!

Mohsen
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly thyroiditis

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. The area that you describe would be the location of the thyroid gland, and with swelling and pain, I suspect this could be inflammation of the thyroid gland. Depending on how long you've had the pain, it could be caused a viral infection (often patients have cold-like symptoms before the pain), bacterial infection (usually with high fevers), or from trauma.

This inflammation may cause an increase in the release of thyroid hormone, so I would recommend that you see a doctor and have your blood checked to confirm that this is coming from your thyroid, and to see if it is causing excess thyroid hormone. Fortunately, usually these causes are temporary, and so you may not need treatment, or if you do, only for a short period of time.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions about that or anything you would like me to explain further, I would be glad to do so.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Possibly thyroiditis

Detailed Answer:

Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 8 hours later
Hi Dr. Branch,

Thank you very much for your reply; and as you advised, I'll see a doctor about it!

Best regards,

Mohsen
Hi Dr. Branch,

Best regards,

Mohsen
Brief Answer:
You're welcome!

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome, please let me know if I can help with anything in the future. Thanks for your question and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Brief Answer:
You're welcome!

Detailed Answer: