Hi, I have got mumps and the doctor prescribed be

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Wed, 13 Feb 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi, I have got mumps and the doctor prescribed be ''Amoxycillin and Potassium Clavulanate Tablets, 625mg" and "Metronidazole". I had jaundice once in my life and my liver is not at my best. I googled the medicine and it said that people who had jaundice should take it under proper medical advice. My doctor didn't say anything about it. What should I do?
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 54 minutes later
Is it okay to smoke during mumps? And kindly tell me about my diet.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mumps is a viral

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Are you sure that it is mumps. Because mumps is a viral and antibiotics like Amox-calv and metronidazole are not effective in it. Most people with mumps take 2 weeks to recover.

Can you upload your liver function test reports so that I can better comment on your question? Mostly if liver dysfunction shows up in tests, then medicines affecting liver are better avoided. Otherwise these antibiotics can be taken safely for duration of few days.

Smoking should be avoided during mumps infection as it may cause/aggravate lung infection.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee