Hi I have experienced itching for around 2 days now.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Mar 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi

I have experienced itching for around 2 days now.
It's a sharp and immediately oncoming itchy sensation. It's mainly happening a bit under my arm put and towards the right chest and opposite on the shoulder blade also on the right side.

It started out of nowhere while I was at work and has continued until now. There is absolutely nothing to see, not even redness or anything. It feels a bit like stinging needles but itchy.

I don't feel it while sleeping, but it starts shortly after I wake up and lasts throughout the day. I have tried changing clothes, shower and used some cream just to see if it was caused by dryness, but I don't think it helped anything. I think it didn't itch while showering.

I've changed few things just before it started. We bought a new shower soap that I use, but I don't know of any allergy towards soap. I have allergy of shellfish, but when I have the allergic reaction I get flushing, that doesn't happen in the affected area.

My skin looks all normal in the area and as I said it is pinpointed itchy in a very small area, but it seems to be worst around 5 cm under the armpit and edge of the right shoulder blade.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding itchy skin

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Perhaos it is just dry skin/ xerosis and therefore the sensation to itch. I suggest you to use a bland moisturizer, regularly after bath e.g liquid paraffin or aquaphor(petrolatum). In addition I suggest you to take an oral antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10mg tablet once a day for a few days for symptomatic relief from itching.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need any more assistance.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 14 minutes later
Thank you for your answer doctor.

Can I take both Metoprolol (Beta blocker) and an antihistamine? I have a slight idea that my clothes rubbing the area sets it off over and over, but I'm not entirely sure that's true.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding itchy skin

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, you can take the beta blocker along with oral cetrizine. Clothes, specially synthetic fibre ones can irritate dry skin and set off itching. So, try a moisturizer. Use it once or twice daily.

take care.
Let me know if you need any more assistance
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D