Hi. I have dry mouth and dry and cracked lips.
Some possible causes of your problem and recommendations.
Thank you for using 'Ask a doctor' to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.
In most of the cases, both the symptoms you are describing are due to dehydration and so not drinking enough water. So my first advice is to try and drink at least 1.5-2 litre of water per day.
If you have used an antibiotic lately, or if you have a history of thrush in your mouth of yeast infections, then the painful mouth can be due to that. To confirm that, I'd recommend seeing your dentist, who will have a look at your teeth too, and the gingiva.
If you haven't seen a doctor for a while, I would recommend considering to check your blood count to check for Anemia and also a TSH to check the thyroid function in your body. Both these conditions can be the most frequent causes of dry mouth and cracked lips.
Again, the most important thing to try is increasing the intake of fluids in the first place.
Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes bulge around rectal area that appears post exercise?
- Suggest tests to diagnose herpes infection
- What causes difficulty in losing weight while suffering from blood clot...
- Can Hydroxycut be taken daily along with Metformin?
- Suggest treatment for torn achilles tendon and nerve pain on left foot
- Can Clindamycin cause tendon rupture?
- What causes tender lesions on back spreading towards breast?
- What is low body temperature defined as?
- How long does Morphine remain in the body?
- What causes fever, cough and strange sound while breathing?