Hi I have done my ECO and it shows Sever

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 15 Feb 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi I have done my ECO and it shows Sever MR. Is it alarming?? My Pressure is 140/90 which is high. Is the pressure high due to sever MR??
Also my Hemoglobin level is also very low at 8.4. Is it because of sever MR??
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Severe MR is alarming

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking...

Yes, severe MR is alarming. Severe MR has various causes like MVP or RHD, which can be diagnosed on echo. If severe MR is persistent despite treatment then you'll need a surgical procedure for it. It'll be better if you can attach/upload the whole echo report for a detailed review.

BP is borderline and MR may be a contributory factor for it. If it persistently stays at or above 140/90 then should have medicines for it like diuretics which will also help in MR.

Low Hemoglobin (Hb) is not due to MR but MR may be worsened with low Hb. so you need to undergo peripheral smear, serum iron profile and Vit B12 and folic acid levels to find out the cause of low Hb, which is usually due to iron deficiency. Treatment of low Hb may reduce your MR.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee