Hi. I have been on Bactrim for 5 days and

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Sun, 24 Feb 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi. I have been on Bactrim for 5 days and yesterday I took my last pill in the morning . I had a few sips of wine with dinner last night and woke up this morning with a bad headache. It’s lasted all day with nausea off and on, seems worse tonight. Tylenol hasn’t helped. What should I do? I haven’t eaten since breakfast. I have insurance.
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor' service. I have read your question and here is my advice.
Sorry to hear of the trouble you have been through.
It's difficult to say fro sure about the headache without detailed history. However your headache appears likely to be related to the wine.
Red wine can give headache. This is common it taken in large amounts but even less can give headache to succiptible people's. This is not a rare thing and has been given name called redwine headache syndrome. The cause is not exactly known but a number of ingredient of the wine like histamine, tyramine, sugars and few more have been postulated to cause the headache. The headache may be worse and associated with nausea and flashes. Generally does not last more then 24 hours but may go up to 3 days. So it seems the wine be very likely the culprit of your headache. If you have no alarm symptoms (described below), I would advise you should take lot of fluids, and tab advil for the pain. Hope thing would be fine soon.
Wine can also trigger migrain in people who have it.
However, there are few things about headaches that worries us, in such cases urgent vesit is needed to the doctor. This includes a sudden inset of headaches, first episode of severe headaches in people over 55, headache with pain in neck specially if unabake to move the neck up and down, high grade fever, weakness in any part of body or loss of vision, or persistent severe vomiting. These are all alarm symptoms and though not necessarily mean a serious cause, but need to be urgently seen for a serious causes.
In the absence of the above z headache for a day or two may not be a great concern.
So if you are otherwise not very sick and no alarm symptoms, then you may take advil or other pain killer like neoproxen for the headache.
If headaches worsens or persists even the next day, you may see your doctor.

Hope this help your understand your querry. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions or concerns.
Kind Regards Dr Mahboob Ur Rahman
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj