Hi, I have been having swelling in my feet. This
I have been having swelling in my feet. This has been going on for some time now. I have been told to watch my sodium intake. But I feel like it is not the sodium. Because I do try to watch my sodium intake. I read the labels on products and etc. But I have read where the pituitary gland can cause swelling in your feet. Is this true? I was a regular exerciser until I started having problems with my feet. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.
I would recommend performing some tests:
Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!
I understand your concern and would explain that the fact that you have been using diuretics (water pills) before, could indicate possible heart failure underlying your complaints.
For this reason, I would recommend performing a cardiac ultrasound and NT pro BNP levels in order to investigate for possible heart failure.
Other possible causes to consider would be : chronic venous insufficiency or kidney and/or renal dysfunction.
For this reason, the next steps to follow would be performing a Doppler ultrasound of the leg blood vessels and some blood lab tests (complete blood count, kidney and liver function tests, blood electrolytes).
Starting diuretics again may be needed.
You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.
Hope to have been helpful!
Wishing all the best,
Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?