Hi I have been having chest pain intermittently the past

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi
I have been having chest pain intermittently the past week. Was on vacation and forgot my meds.
CKD 3 hx, HTN, bp current 180/100
When I realized, I took the meds, as we returned the other day.
Should I increase the dose tonight or just monitor for the bp to fall?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get ECG ASAP

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for sending the question.

I am very concerned that you have indicated that you have been having intermittent chest pain. With chest pain, we are very conservative in terms of how to assess this type of symptom.

We have to assume that it is possible that you could be having some limitation of blood flow to the muscle of your heart. In light of this, my recommendation is that you seek medical attention immediately. I realize this may be quite difficult and inconvenient but with your medical history, if you are having any type of disruption of blood flow to the heart it could cause long-term problems with your heart function.

It is certainly possible the reason that you develop the chest discomfort was that you had not been taking your blood pressure medication. I unfortunately cannot rule out the possibility that you may be dealing with some type of limitation of blood flow to the heart muscle and for that reason my recommendation would be that you are seen as soon as possible.

I thank you again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj