Hi, I have a swelling around my left shoulder and

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2019 in Back Pain
Question: Hi,
I have a swelling around my left shoulder and it feels like ballooned up. What is causing this swelling? Photos attached. I feel if I inhale that side doesn't go down all the way inside compared to next side. Just worried is it something serious?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to fat deposition.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the attached images. The mild swelling that you can feel is likely to be due to distribution of fat in the area. There can be some subcutaneous fat deposition like lipoma causing the mildly raised area. This is not related to the internal abnormality of lungs. Losing some weight can help in reducing the swelling. You can also get it examined by your physician to confirm this. Nothing to worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Sorry I forgot to mention earlier, I also have a slight swelling in my neck as well. I attached photos. I'm not sure whether it is muscle sprain or something else. I've pointed with my finger in the photo where I feel swollen. Please advise what causes this swelling
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Also I have blood circulation problem ( raynauds condition ) where my ankle swell at times as well. So i'm concerned whether this swelling could be part of that as well?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Minor soft tissue swelling.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen attached images. The swelling in the neck is minimal and seems to be a minor soft tissue variation. This can be a normal change or a mild muscle spasm. This swelling is not related to Raynaud's condition.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
What medication or remedy I can take to reduce the swelling please?
Brief Answer:
Oral muscle relaxants can help.

Detailed Answer:
If the swelling is associated with pain then it can be a muscle spasm and oral muscle relaxants and a hot compress can help. But if there is no pain then it is a soft tissue variation and medicines will not help much.
Regards.