Hi I have a small pimple sized bump inside the

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Thu, 21 Feb 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi I have a small pimple sized bump inside the middle of my upper lip. I am not sure how long I have had it. It is kind of white on the very top. It doesn't hurt. Any idea what it is?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is very likely to be a mucous retention cyst, get it examined by surgeon

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Ask a Doctor Service.

Such small swellings/lumps in the lips are very often are just mucous retention cysts.

Lips have many mucous glands and at times the ducts of these glands may get clogged by cellular debris and that causes the mucous secretions from the gland to accumulate within, leading to a swelling/lump.

Please get it checked by a surgeon and get it removed surgically and have it sent for histopathological diagnosis to confirm it is just a mucous retention cyst.

I hope that answers your query, feel free to write back to me if you have any doubts.'

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D