Hi. I had unprotected sex with someone at the beginning

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Fri, 15 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: Hi. I had unprotected sex with someone at the beginning of November. It was stupid and I was drunk. Idiot I know. 

Two and a half weeks later I went and had a full STI check including blood and mid stream urine. The results all came back negative and I went and got another HIV test at the two month mark. 

I generally suffer from anxiety and have occasional minor panic attacks where I feel like I’m being joked, this is a separate issue but there’s definitely an element of health anxiety involved. 

Recently this week I’ve started feeling a bit of a strange sensation in my penis. It’s not a pain and it doesn’t burn when I pee, from what I’ve seen there’s no discharge. I feel like I need to urinate far more frequently than I normally do and I’m constantly aware of my penis. It almost feels like it’s cold and I kind of feel like I’m having to hold my bladder. 

There are no other indications and everything looks fine in appearance, but I constantly have this feeling .

Do you think there’s something that could have developed that wouldn’t have been detectable at two and a half weeks that would exhibit these symptoms?

Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 10 minutes later
"uretheral awareness" and needing the bathroom too frequently would be my symptoms
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably symptoms related to anxiety, follow the advice below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I understand your concern.

In my opinion the symptoms seem to be related to anxiety.

Anxiety can cause frequent urination

Another possible cause can be a urinary tract infection.

I would recommend to do a urinalysis to confirm this diagnosis.

Meanwhile, I recommend to treat anxiety.

I suggest to avoid drinking liquids before bed.

I also suggest to avoid drinking caffeine, alcohol, spicy food or chocolate, which can trigger the symptoms.

If the symptoms continue you can try medications such as Vesicare which are prescribed medication.

You should consult your doctor before the treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 32 hours later
Hi. So I have an appointment booked with the doctor this evening. I woke up today and all of the symptoms have evaporated. everything is back to normal. should I go for a urine test anyway? or would that be silly if the symptoms have not persisted?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest to do the urine test to exclude the possibility of an infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear,

I am glad that you feel better.

I would recommend to do the urine test anyway
to exclude the possibility of a urinary tract infection.

Take care dear,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 3 days later
Hi. So I went to a GP. they did a urine test and tested negative for infection. I was given a single course of 1g Azithromycin to kill any bacterial infections. it's been two days and the symptoms are still persisting. constant feeling like I need to urinate and an inability to empty my bladder completely maybe. occasion slight sting at the top of my urethra now, but mild and occasional.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably symptoms related to anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear.

Based on the fact that the urine test is negative we can exclude an infection.

So, in my opinion the symptoms are related to anxiety and stress.

You can also try Vesicare as I mentioned above.

It is a medication which reduces muscle spasms of the bladder and urinary tract.

You should consult your doctor before using this medication.

Take care dear,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi