Hi, I had protected sex with a person of unknown
You are free from HIV Infection.
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query.
You had protected intercourse. No other risky sexual activities. Spouses of people living with HIV have regular protected exposures and remain HIV free for years together.
So there is no risk of HIV transmission in your case. Moreover you had completed PEP. That once again gave extra protection even if there is a remote possibility of HIV infection.
Your HIV tests (both Non-reactive HIV PCR and 4th generation HIV Combo test) also ruled out HIV 1 infection and negative STD panel 40 days after the exposure ruled out the possibility of STD. So you are free from HIV Infection and STDs. You can forget the incident and resume your normal routine. Nothing to worry.
Dr S Murugan
Your chance of getting HIV/STD infection is almost"nil"
If you had started PEP within 72 hours after the exposure, the infection, if any, would have been aborted. When anybody started PEP and not have completed, then there is a possibility of infection or failure of PEP, in which case we can expect a delay in sero-conversion. But you had completed the course as instructed by your physician. Then there is no question of delay of sero conversion.
You had not mentioned what drug you took as PEP and how much time after the exposure.
Indeterminate results are common with Western blot, so it could be repeated.
But in your case you had protected exposure. So not to worry about these rare and odd things.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Itching on penis and sides of it. What medication is recommended?
- Red rashes appeared on penis head. Tested negative for STD. On...
- Red burning scrotum. Taking Gabapin with no relief. Need immediate cure
- Hair fall, burning, hurting, itchy scalp with intermittent occurrence of...
- Itching sensation around vaginal area, used wipes. Butt is itching,...
- Dark spot on organ, rashes, itchy at night, may be syphilis
- Stomach rash, itchy, not taking medication, no change in diet. Any...
- Small rounds in skin below neck, sometimes itchy. What medication should...
- Diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum in pubic region, cryotherapy done....
- How soon am I contagious after having contact with herpes? How long...