Hi. I had hiatal surgery Dec . 2018. I had

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Mar 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi. I had hiatal surgery Dec. 2018. I had excessive gas for about 6 months, then it decreased. A few months later, I started experiencing major acid build up and involuntary throw up. Not food, just seemed like acid. I am taking Pantoprozole sodium dr 40 mg twice a day. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I have been eating small portions.
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 minutes later
I have also had to take baking soda and water several times a day.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
seems to be due to Incomplete treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for choosing 'Ask a Doctor' service for your query,

You are having severe acid peptic disorder and the medicines you are on are just baseline medications.

I would suggest you take Rabeprazole 20mg two times a day (instead of Pantoprazole). Take it empty stomach for best results.

Along with it add a prokinetic drug like Domperidone or Levosulpiride to it. It would play wonders in controlling your problem.

Take Acotiamide 100 mg three times a day for 21 days, then take it two times a day for the next three months.

You would need a prescription for them.
Please do follow up after a week.

Hope I was helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 10 hours later
Thank you. I will follow up with my doctor tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hope I was helpful.
Do rate the answer.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 28 minutes later
Other medication that I take are: Simvastin, Losartin. Cymbalta, Trazadone, and occationally Lorazapam. Will the medicines you indicate work well with these? Are the medicines you indicated all available in the US? The severe peptic disorder sounds like what I am experiencing. Shouldn't my GI doctor have come up with the same solution that you have given me? I'm just a bit upset that he just told me good luck and left me on my own to get the answers. I am so happy to have a solution. Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear,
Yes they have no significant interaction with any of the medicines you are on.Infact a person taking medications is more prone to gastritis and if not treated properly it changes from acute form to chronic.
Yes all of them are available in US but you need to get a prescription from any GP.They are very effective have minimal(practically no) side effects and so doctor would give you a prescription easily unless he/she is very nosy.
I am not sure about acotiamide but you can get it online from Mexico or Europe.
Mam I had lived in usa as well as Canada for a long time back in 90's and early 20's and one thing which I don't like about the healthcare there is that they are over over and over skeptical about use of medicines.The patient would keep suffering but the doctor won't prescribe him better drugs.
Uk and other European nation's don't have such problem.
I hope you will get these medicines.
You can remain in touch with me.Initially try them for 21 days.You would start feeling much better in a week.

I hope I was helpful.
In case you need any other suggestions please feel free to follow up.
Do rate the answer.
Thank you!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thank you Teri,
Get well soon.
Do rate the answer any suggestions to make answer better are welcome.
Regards and have a good day ahead.
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 0 minute later
Thank you so much for this information. I am anxious to try these medications and hopeful that I will get back to normal. I really appreciate your expertise in this matter. Have a great day. Again, thanks. Teri
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 minute later
I lost the link to submit my review so I am trying this