Hi, I had a hip dislocation (with surgery) in 2011,

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2018 in Lump
Question: Hi, I had a hip dislocation (with surgery) in 2011, I currently and for some time now. Have a bulge just above and to the left (left hip surgery) of my stuff. It's more pronounced when standing and can go away completely when laying down. Is this a hernia? Since there is no pain do I need to seek medical treatment or wait till/if there is pain?
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It sounds like a hernia

Detailed Answer:
Hi Daviesmi,

It certainly sounds like a hernia. If it goes away when laying down you do not need acute surgery.

If the worst thing about it is recurring pain, I'd suggest you consult a general surgeon and discuss the pros and cons of surgery.

If it does not impact negatively on your daily life, I suggest you do nothing. An ultrasound may be performed if there is any doubt.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if I can assist you further...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee