Hi, I had a descending aortic aneurysm about a month

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I had a descending aortic aneurysm about a month ago. The doctors did not want to surgically intervene so they wanted to try to control with blood pressure medication. Is there a possibility this aneurysm will heal on its own if I maintain low blood pressure and do not strain myself with intense exercise?
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it's quite possible and surgery is not needed in descending aneurysm

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
I have read your question and here is my advice.

This type of dissecting aortic aneurysm mostly has a benign course and heals though rarely it may be serious.

In fact, the management of an aortic aneurysm depends on the site. While surgery is needed in most cases of ascending aortic aneurysm (as rupture is common in this type ). It is not needed in descending aortic aneurysm (where rupture is uncommon). Medical therapy to tightly control BP (keeping it 100 to 120 systolic) is the first choice management in descending aneurysm.

This is because the one serious complication of dissection is a rupture, this is uncommon with descending dissection. In most of the people, this would heal by itself. So your doctor is very right, no surgery is needed here and most cases would heal itself if BP is controlled, though it needs a regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your question. Please feel free to ask anything else you need to know.

I wish you a great recovery.
Kind Regards
Dr Rahman

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee