question-icon

Hi , I got to know about my hypothyroidism in

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2019
Question: Hi ,

I got to know about my hypothyroidism in early 2017 when I faced a huge hair fall. Since then I am taking thyronorm 25 mcg. But my hairfall didn't cured. In last 6 moths I have used follihair A tablet and minoxidil 5% solution for 3 months on shaved head. Hair regrowth improved, got some hair back. Then i stopped using minoxidil and follihair A. Hair fall came back , from last one month i am losing 100+ hair everyday. I am using again minoxidil and follihair A from last 15 days and continuing thyronorm 25 mcg..but no improvement. I am feeling stressed and not sure what to do?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Androgenetic alopecia, continue minoxidil & tab andranagen

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to ask a doctor service
I have gone through your query and reviewed the attached photographs.
You seem to be having androgenetic alopecia which is a hereditary and hormonal type of alopecia. It can get aggravated with thyroid disorders.
This type of hair loss doesn’t have a permanent cure.
You need to continue with minoxidil solution till you want hair as on stopping minoxidil you will again loose hair within 6-8 months.
You have started minoxidil just 15 days back but you need to continue it for 4-5 months to see significant results as 15 days is too less a time for minoxidil to start its onset of action.
I would recommend you to continue with minoxidil 5 percent lotion twice daily along with tablet andranagen once daily.
This will help in hair regrowth.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to answer any further queries.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist